TAKE ACTION NOW TO PROTECT HEALTH RIGHTS IN MASSACHUSETTS
HUGE NEWS MASSACHUSETTS!!!
There is a bill introduced in the Senate (S.1122) and one coming in the house (HD.2861) that if passed, would protect fundamental rights recognized in the US Constitution and The Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts,
Declaration of Rights by:
• Affirming an individual’s right to make personal decisions concerning medical treatments and procedures.
• Making it unlawful to terminate employment based solely on an employee’s medical decisions.
• Ensuring equitable access to justice. Right now, only those with the financial means to hire a lawyer and the knowledge to do so can protect themselves against violations of their rights.
• Preventing discrimination against those who are medically vulnerable.
• Affirming that a person’s fundamental right to privacy, travel and speech shall not be infringed upon to impede the making of decisions for themselves or for their dependents
TAKE ACTION WEEK!
We urgently need everyone to get involved and SUPPORT MA BILL S.1122. We can’t wait for someone else to do it! It’s up to each of us to speak up and made our voices heard!
How? Calling is best, emailing is great too, both is even better. Please do as many of the 6 ACTIONS ITEMS as you can THIS WEEK. If you have already done them, do them again!
- Please reach out to your OWN legislators and ask them to co-sponsor S.1122 An Act relative to bodily autonomy and family integrity – bills to protect your right to make choices about your own health. If you have a story of medical injury or coercion please share it with them and ask them to protect you. Coercion and discrimination at colleges and universities and many workplaces are out of control!!!! Please let them know. If you are on the phone please ask that they record your support. You can find a prewritten letters with an easy 1-click action item below. You can find your legislators here: https://malegislature.gov/Search/FindMyLegislator. EVEN BETTER: Request a meeting with your lawmakers. Here is how >
- Senator Patrick O’Connor has sponsored this bill in the Senate. Please call his office, no matter what district you are in and thank him for SPONSORING S.1122 An Act relative to bodily autonomy and family integrity – a bill to protect your right to make choices about your own health!
- Sheila Harrington filed a bill in the House and has signed on as co-sponsor. This bill is still awaiting final language. Please call her office, no matter what district you are in, and thank her for sponsoring HD2861 An Act affirming and protecting the constitutional right to personal liberty https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/HD2861 – a bill to protect your right to make choices about your own health.
- Representative Peter Durant has Co-Sponsored S1122 Please call his office, no matter what district you are in, and thank him for sponsoring S1122. An Act relative to bodily autonomy and family integrity – a bill to protect your right to make choices about your own health!
Peter.Durant@mahouse.gov. (617) 722-2060
- Please send this website to all your freedom-loving friends. Download and share our printables with your friends and colleagues.
- We need volunteers! Please reach out if you can help via our Contact page.
If you live in Patrick O’Connor or Sheila Harrington’s District it is especially important they hear from their own constituents. If you know anyone living in their districts please reach to them.
The Massachusetts Medical Freedom Senate Bill is moving!!!! The bill has been assigned to the Joint Committee on the Judiciary and is now numbered S.1122.
We urgently need to secure meetings with every member of the judiciary committee. If your legislator is a member of the judiciary committee please reach out to them and set up a meeting. A few members of our committee will be available to attend with you. For a template and instructions on how to request meeting click here.
The house bill, cosponsored by Sheila Harrington is still awaiting language so for now we will focus on the Senate version.
If your legislators are not on this committee we’d still love a meeting with them. We want to talk to every legislator if possible. (Well, except Rausch and Vargas.) And please call or write them as well. It’s really important that they hear a groundswell of support from their own constituents.
Find your legislators here: https://malegislature.gov/Search/FindMyLegislator
Joint Committee on the Judiciary
Michael S. Day Chair
Chynah Tyler Vice Chair
Susannah M. Whipps
Colleen M. Garry
Brandy Fluker Oakley
Adam J. Scanlon
Jay D. Livingstone
Sheila C. Harrington (Ranking Minority)
Alyson M. Sullivan